Mr Yang Du served financial services for over 15 years in asset management, foreign exchange and financial technologies, where his professional footprints are across London, New York, Sydney, Shanghai and Hong Kong. He is a recognised thought-leader on China’s financial regulation and capital account liberalisation. Yang holds degrees from University of St Andrews and Nanjing University of Science and Technology.
Mr. Du currently serves China Securities International as Head of Asset Management and Managing Director of China Securities (International) Asset Management, he leads investment, trading, sales and product teams over a global-mandate fund business.
Prior to joining China Securities, Mr. Du was a Partner and Managing Director of Yaozhi Asset Management, a leading Chinese hedge fund specialising in fixed income market, where he led cross-border and offshore investment as well as macro research. Mr. Du also served globally-renowned financial information provider Thomson Reuters where he took several challenges including the founding Global Head of China Business Desk, Director of RMB and China Strategy, Head of Buy-side EMEA etc. He was also a corporate investment strategist in his early career.
Mr. Du is an active intellectual contributor to RMB Internationalisation. He played a critical role in UK’s formation of very first RMB Offshore Centre and advised several governments on the construction of RMB offshore centres. In 2013, Mr. Du co-founded RMB Interest Group quickly became an influential knowledge-exchange platform among financial market practitioners, regulators and academics. The group emerged a number of high-flyers and left intellectual footprints in many policies through its members. This interest group is still active today and keeps its edge.
Mr. Du was a TEDx speaker also frequently interviewed by media and press including Bloomberg, Reuters, NHK, CCTV, Phoenix Financial, Financial Times, Ignites Asia, Profit & Loss, China Daily, Economic Daily and so.
Honours and awards
- International Contribution, Chinese Business Leaders Award, UK
- Rising Star of the City, Brummell Magazine, UK
- Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) Explained, Yaozhi Asset Management, February 2017
- Shenzhen-Hong Kong Connect as Alternative Approach Under the Capital Control, Yaozhi Asset Management, November 2016
- Green Financial Assets: comparative studies and fund analysis, China Economic Information Bureau, Xinhua News Agency, May 2016
- Investment Value of the Green Bond, Yaozhi Asset Management, April 2016
- Investigation of the CoCo Bond, Yaozhi Asset Management, April 2016
- Global Asset Allocation: multi-asset & multi-strategy fund, Yaozhi Asset Management, March 2016
- Stock Connect – Express Way of Capital Flow, China-British Business Council, 2014
Public speaking and interviews
October 2018 – Two years after joining the Special Drawing Rights (SDR), an international currency reserve to supplement IMF member countries’ official reserves, the Chinese yuan has increased its influence in international foreign exchange reserves and payments. Du Yang explains to China Global Television Network that the marketization of the yuan is a major hurdle.
- ‘Financial Ambition and Altruism’, TEDx Talk, China, 2016
- China Development Forum, London School of Economics, UK, 2017, 2018
- MBA talks, Central University of Finance and Economics, China, 2017
- Fund Forum International, Germany, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
- Fund Forum Asia, Hong Kong SAR, 2016, 2017, 2018
- RMB Internationlisation Summit, U.S, 2015
- China Central Television (CCTV)
- Phoenix Financial
- China National Radio
- Economic Daily
- Ignites Asia
- Profit & Loss
- FX Week
- Sohu Finance
- Sina Finance
- Liberalisation of China’s Financial Regulation, at LSE